NEIL MCDONALD MBE
Neil uses their personal experience to empower and uplift individuals and organisations, helping people to understand and accept the complexities of gender identity and sexual orientation.
They also spend their time volunteering with trans youth community interest company Gendered Intelligence. Neil was awarded a MBE in the 2017 new year honours for their work supporting LGBT staff in the workplace. Neil is non-binary and transfemme and uses the gender-neutral pronoun "they" as demonstrated above. Neil lives in London and spends their time outside of work and activism listening to Beyoncé and 90s R & B female vocalists and DJing.
- Has extensive experience within the public sector and has helped a central government department of state to be the first (and so far only) department recognised as a Star Performer by leading LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans) charity Stonewall.
- Helped the department to be rated as the top Civil Service department in supporting trans staff by trans support network a:gender.
- Worked as a diversity adviser within the department, specialising in sexual orientation and gender identity issues.
- Spent three years as deputy chair of their LGBT network, overseeing re-writes of gender identity policies to be inclusive of non-binary people and the introduction of gender-neutral toilet facilities.
- Led the implementation of recommendations from reports by various groups including HM Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC), Stonewall and the UK Lesbian and Gay Immigration Group (UKLGIG).
- Assisted with Civil Service-wide gender identity policy introduction and training HR professionals.